Meals on Wheels of Solano County has been delivering meals to homebound seniors in Benicia, Dixon, Fairfield, Rio Vista, Suisun, Vacaville and Vallejo since 1977. Our registered dietitian plans all of the menus. All of our meals meet 1/3 of the daily basic nutritional requirements for older adults, follow the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and meet state regulations for food safety and sanitation. We strive to limit sodium to less than 750 milligrams per meal, limit the calories from fat, serve whole grains, vegetables and fresh fruits for fiber. All meals are prepared and packaged fresh at our central kitchen in Suisun City, California.
Meals on Wheels of Solano County provided an average of 12,000 meals a month from July 2014 to June 2015 for seniors living in our community. Collectively, our wonderful volunteers and staff visited and checked on our seniors on a daily basis.
The Facts, Just the Facts…
- 143,891 Total meals served to seniors in Solano County.
- 121,170 Total meals delivered to home-bound seniors in Solano County.
- 22,721 Total meals served at Congregate Dining Sites.
- $50,798Total value of donated volunteer Home-Delivery hours.
- $27,396 Total value of donated miles for the Home-Delivery Program.
- $23,715 Total value of donated volunteer hours & facility usage at Congregate Dining Sites.
- TOTAL VALUE of Donated Services for FY 2014-2015: $101,909
To provide nutritious meals, daily contact from a dedicated volunteer and to support independence while promoting the social, physical, and emotional well-being of seniors.
To ensure that “No Senior goes Hungry”
- We respect the dignity and diversity of each person we serve and of those who volunteer and work for us.
- We are responsible stewards of all resources that the community entrusts to us.
- We strive to continually improve the quality of our services through understanding and acting on the needs and expectations of those being served.
- We are innovative in our practices to support continual improvement and growth.
- We believe in the value of volunteerism and believe that community service nourishes the souls of those who volunteer along with those being served.
- We are committed to collaborating with community partners to respond to community needs.
- We are honest and behave in a way that reinforces our values.
Historical Milestones for Meals on Wheels of Solano County
Meals on Wheels of Solano County was founded in 1977 in Vallejo, CA by Grace Merkling. Grace and a group of citizens were concerned for the health and well-being of home-bound seniors who were unable to shop and prepare their meals. In 1977 and continuing for many years, Meals on Wheels volunteers and staff delivered to home-bound seniors, one nutritionally balanced meal daily, seven days a week and 365 days a year from Sutter Solano Hospital in Vallejo and NorthBay Hospital in Fairfield.
For the first time, Meals on Wheels of Solano County began to prepare the senior meals in their own acquired central kitchen located in the Marina Shopping Center in Suisun City. During this time, Meals on Wheels of Solano County expanded the meal service programs to include home delivered meals and congregate dining sites for seniors living in the seven cities in Solano County. We hired a registered dietitian who prepared the monthly menus for 22 home delivery routes and 8 congregate dining sites located at the local senior centers throughout the county.
Meals on Wheels was able to relocate their administrative offices in to the renovated spaces adjacent to our central kitchen facility thus consolidating the operation to one functional area. The importance of a central location allows our Sites & Routes Manager interact daily with the volunteers/staff who pick up and deliver the food to cities throughout Solano County. It has increased the efficiency of food distribution exponentially.
Today, Meals on Wheels of Solano County consists of 34 employees, only two of whom work full-time ( the Kitchen Manager and the Chef). We have more than 120 volunteers to help deliver meals to home-bound seniors and/or to assist at congregate dining sites daily. Currently, we serve over 600 clients a day and provide and average of 12,000 meals a month in Solano County.
Share this page: